Saturday, January 25, 2014

Forgiveness


 Forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness, sticky stuff.

Man, I'm having a hard time with this one. But I really think I should address it after my last two posts. And now seems like the right time to do it.



 Forgiveness is one of those really hard things. It seem so simple, yet the most simple things are the hardest. You say, 'is it really that important?'. But deep down we all know it is. We don't have to have someone tell us that it's the right thing, that it will help us. That we will feel better if we forgive. God gave us a brain for a reason, but us stupid humans, we just don't like using it all the time.

 As children of God we want to be like him. And what is God super good at? And I mean super good at. Forgiveness, duh. Sorry I hate questions like that too, but somehow we all ask questions like that anyways. Back to what I was talking/typing about. :) God forgave us of every sin we ever made and will ever make. And his son, or savior Jesus Christ, said to Simon Peter that we need to forgive 7 x 70 times. That's 490 times! Yah, I know you've probably heard that at church, if not, well at least I'm not talking to myself here. ; ) 

 Also, how many times do we want to hurt God? Really, when that person hurt you, they hurt God, and when you refuse to forgive them, it hurts Him again. Who wants to hurt the One who gives us every breath, every joy, every providence? 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you.' I've heard that somewhere...

 Now, where this aplies to in your writing. Don't make forgiving too easy for your characters. They have to be realistic. They have to go through something that opens their eyes. Maybe they read a Bible verse, or poem. Maybe they listen to TobyMac's song Forgiveness ( great song, I suggest listening to it and this next one) or Forgiveness by Mathew West. Or maybe they saw something happen that makes them realize, that hate is not getting them anywhere. They dont just lay in bed and say, 'Wow, I haven't forgiven that person yet. I forgive them now.' It just don't happen that way. Too bad, but we humans are pretty thick skulled. 
 
Love y'all! Brookie

 

No comments: